canton mckinley football state championships

In the 9,000-plus days since they won Ohio's Division I playoff championship and finished No. Canton McKinley vs. Massillon Rivalry:'Who wants it more': Breaking down key matchups, players for Canton McKinley-Massillon 2022. . The original McKinley building on Market Avenue North was opened on March 27, 1918. Receivers from the 1997 team No. No. Michael Allen Doss (born March 24, 1981) is an American former football safety who played in the National Football League (NFL) for six seasons. McKinley Senior opened in a new building on the site of Fawcett Stadium. Columbus St. Francis DeSales, Division IV, Region 16 10. I have two daughters, 11 and 9. Spectrum News 1 will televise the football state championship game live, with streaming available for the games at www.OHSAA.tv. McKinley stunned Moeller 13-0 in the '81 state finals, but Mighty Moe bounced back to beat Massillon 35-14 in the. 9 Canal Winchester 0, No. "Finishing the job, winning that game, was exhilarating.". Now it is the 25th anniversary of McKinley conquest of Moeller, and the game still tugs Michael Munoz's heartstrings. That's what we really cared about. 8 Struthers 35, No. "We won as brothers," said Gamble, who is a chef at Samantha's restaurant. St. Clairsville vs. 1. Champions [ edit] [1] See also [ edit] After high school, Page played college football at the University of Notre Dame, including playing on the national championship team in 1966 and was a consensus All-American. It was 70 yards against Massillon. By 1943, it was one of four high schools, as enrollment in the city schools dictated Lehman High School, Lincoln High School, and Timken Vocational High School be opened. On 10/22, the McKinley varsity football team lost their away non-conference game against Washington (Massillon, OH) by a score of 23-13. Regional Tournament Bracket Cleveland St. Joseph (9-2) 13-6 FINAL (Akron Rubber Bowl) Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller (12-0, Coach Gerry Faust) def. Hilliard Davidson, Southwest Ohio - Division I, Region 4 10. Findlay vs. 2. He led the Yankees in three World Series games with a.373 batting average and, in 1977, led the team to the World Championship. "We were on the field for practice at Fawcett, doing our stretching, and something wasn't right. 12 Malvern 43, No. 11 Licking Heights 7, No. MaxPreps is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. He works as an inspector for Ohio Pools. Thornville Sheridan at 8. 81 at McKinley before playing for Ohio State, the Green Bay Packers and the Denver Broncos. In 1985 he was appointed Special Assistant Attorney General and soon thereafter was promoted to the position of Attorney General. 12 Streetsboro 21, No. He retains vivid memories of rugged games against Cleveland St. Ignatius left tackle LeCharles Bentley. Massillon Washington vs. 1. His prodigious career was tragically shortened when he died in a plane crash in Canton. Canton McKinley Bulldogs | 6-6. But it wasn't as if they had spent three hours getting their ears boxed. The Ohio High School Athletic Association football state championship games returned to town. It's the second. It's hard for a public school to do what we did. 10 Mineral Ridge 7, No. Round One: 10/28: H: No. Refurbishing the Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton cost $137 million. No, not Christmas, the OHSAA State Football Playoffs! 6 Fairless 47, FINAL, No. We just looked at them. Colerain, which outscored its five tournament opponents 191-22, set a division McKinley, playing on its home field, finished as runners-up for the third time to go with its three state championships. With our '97 team, if someone in red and black did it, we all celebrated.". 6 McKinley 40, FINAL, No. Munson won three straight Golden Glove awards, and in over ten years with the Yankees, he averaged 0.292 in batting. Zanesville (10-1) 6-3 Cincinnati "We knew when we beat Ignatius we were destined to win the championship," Mike Doss, a star junior in 1997, says now. Dad would sit in the top row of the away side. the most points scored and the largest margin of victory in the big-school title game, and 1997 Canton McKinley Bulldogs Undefeated State and National Championship Team In Class AA, Wyoming won its first state championship under Bob Lewis. Born in Akron, Ohio, Munson grew up in Canton and graduated from Lehman High School. Moeller's last, best chance came when a penalty stuck McKinley in a second-and-14 from its own 12 midway through the fourth quarter. Big back Grant Crosthwaite ran for 100 yards in the first half. "I remember the brotherhood and the camaraderie that was shared among the players. It was Clarksville Clinton-Massie vs. 3. Rozier was gone. "It wasn't until our senior year that we had a winning season. Computer Rankings, Cincinnati 5 Dawson-Bryant 67, FINAL, Stark County High School Football:OHSAA football playoffs: Jackson, Lake rally; Canton Central Catholic, Northwest win big, OHSAA Football Playoffs:Ohio high school football OHSAA playoff first-round scores for Greater Canton on Friday, No. Moeller 38, Lakota West20, FINAL, OHSAA Football Playoffs:Central Ohio high school football OHSAA regional final playoff recaps and scores, Region 11: Bloom-Carroll 38, Col. Watterson28, FINAL, Region 12: Hamilton Badin 17, Tippecanoe20, FINAL, Region 17: South Range 49, Lake County Perry21, FINAL, Region 18: Elmwood 38, Liberty Center49, FINAL, Region 19: Harvest Prep 0, Ironton34, FINAL, Region 20: Valley View 21, Milton-Union7, FINAL, All games at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, Division II: Tol. The translations should not be considered exact and only used as rough guide. 6 McKinley 14, No. St. John Bosco, Mater Dei, Valdosta, and Washington (Massillon) make the list. Ohio high school football state championship playoff brackets, schedule, computer rankings, statewide stat leaders and scores - live and final. It conducts state championship competitions in all the OHSAA-sanctioned sports. Cincinnati Elder, Division I, Region 1 10. In the 9,000-plus days since they won Ohio's Division I playoff championship and finished No. 5 Northwest 49, FINAL, No. Lakota West vs. 2. "One, it was a misty and muggy night. 6 Hoover 38, OHSAA football playoffs: Jackson, Lake rally; Canton Central Catholic, Northwest win big, Ohio high school football OHSAA playoff first-round scores for Greater Canton on Friday, No. 10 Salem 21, No. Under legendary coach, C.F. In a 1985 championship showdown, Moeller overwhelmed McKinley 35-11. DIVISION I STATE CHAMPIONSHIP In 1967, Page was a first-round selection in the NFL/AFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings, where he stayed for 11 seasons. But we definitely came in knowing we could beat McKinley if we played well.". Branin, Marty was a standout on Mckinley's swim teams for four years. He gave up the McKinley head coaching job after the 1997 season. 6 Hoover 21, Westerville South 27, FINAL, No. I would pass it along to my son.". When it opened, it was the only high school in Canton. Cincinnati Princeton vs. 1. Their 25th anniversary story the saga of the 1997 Bulldogs runs much deeper than three stars who went to Ohio State. 9 Berea-Midpark 24, No. Fax: 614-267-1677. tstried@ohsaa.org. This website uses cookies to enhance your user experience on the website. They came out and we had a great practice.". 44, DeMarlo Rozier, joined Peterson as captains of the 1997 Bulldogs. He was the first defensive player to be named MVP since the awards inception. Lucky to advance? . The staff would go. His greatest impact was as a coach at Canton McKinley where he taught for over 30 years. ", 1997 McKinley Football - Part 1:'The greatest accumulation of talent': Voices of McKinley's grand football champs, 25 years later, 1997 McKinley Football - Part 2:'An unbelievable noise every time we made a play': McKinley football crashes Ignatius dynasty. 1 Massillon 42, No. 0 8 Jackson 28, FINAL, No. 1981 Ohio Division I State Championship Game: Canton McKinley vs Cincinnati Moeller "The selflessness we had on that team the great coaching.". 2 Lisbon Beaver 48, No. Watch this highlight video of the McKinley (Canton, OH) football team in its game Recap: McKinley vs. GlenOak 2022 on Oct 28, 2022. The Fighting Crusaders won state championships in 1976, '77, '79 and '80. I was the will linebacker. Copyright 2023, Visit Canton Stark County Convention & Visitors' Bureau. Two, I was out there with my brothers making plays.". The Golden Flashes went 0-11 in 1998, 2-9 in '99, 1-10 in 2000 and 6-5 in 2001 under head coach Dean Pees, now the defensive coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons. Among Moeller's giants was left tackle Michael Munoz, whose father, former Bengal Anthony Munoz, would be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame two months later. "I've been asked about that play over the years," Rozier said. New Albany vs. 1. The Bulldogs appeared so far gone that many fans headed for the Rubber Bowl exits midway through the fourth quarter. (330) 956-7810 He became a Browns fan decades before that. CIF Disclaimer Regarding the Use of Google Translate. 13 Canton McKinley in a sectional final. "There's ample opportunity to think about a lot of things when you mow for six hours," said McDaniels, head coach of the title team. . [15][16], Sarah Palin speaks at McKinley High School, Gretchen Wilson performs at McKinley High School, Coordinates: .mw-parser-output .geo-default,.mw-parser-output .geo-dms,.mw-parser-output .geo-dec{display:inline}.mw-parser-output .geo-nondefault,.mw-parser-output .geo-multi-punct{display:none}.mw-parser-output .longitude,.mw-parser-output .latitude{white-space:nowrap}404907N 812354W / 40.81861N 81.39833W / 40.81861; -81.39833, Alleged religious discrimination pizza incident, "Ohio High School Swim Coaches' Association-Boys Swimming State Champions", "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site", "We're creating the first sports and entertainment "smart city", "School Board Unanimously Approves 'One Community, One School', "High school football coach forced teen to eat entire pizza that his religion forbids, family says", "Canton McKinley football coach Marcus Wattley, 6 assistants fired following misconduct investigation", "McKinley Head Football Coach Marcus Wattley Fired; 6 others relieved of coaching duties", "High school football coaches placed on leave after forcing player who can't consume pork to eat pepperoni pizza", "Marcus Wattley (@coachmrwatt25) | Twitter", National Federation of State Athletic Associations Record Book, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Canton_McKinley_High_School&oldid=1136776945, Where Champions are made and success is tradition, This page was last edited on 1 February 2023, at 02:16. Jan. 3, 2003 perhaps was the most. 'I think the Ignatius Wildcats think they have won this thing. Hall, 39, is related to Canton icons Ronnie Harris, an Olympic boxing gold medalist, and Wayne Fontes, the winningest head coach in Detroit Lions history. Marysville at Hilliard Darby (, Division II, Region 5 5. Moeller came to play, under 16th-year with head coach Steve Klonne. "I remember getting flagged for an early holding penalty at Altoona and the referee walked by and said, 'Welcome to Pennsylvania football.'. 20, Rashan Hall, and No. Dover vs. 1. Colerain def. NEXT: Coaches, cell-tower techs, pharmacists, fathers, friends. Kyle was in his 14th year as the Ignatius head coach in 1996, when his team beat Canton McKinley 31-24 in a state semifinal battle at a packed Rubber Bowl. Tournament Bracket 7 His voice conveys a striking appreciation 25 years later. Head coach Thom McDaniels preferred to spend every spare minute on Moeller prep, in that one last win would mean a 14-0 season, Ohio's Division I state championship, and the USA Today national poll title. 4658 Duckhorn Drive - Sacramento, CA 95834. Honoring his legacy, The City of Canton dedicated a minor league venue, Thurman Munson Stadium, and placed his Jersey in the stadium. 1 St. Edward 42, FINAL, No. Ohio high school football playoff brackets, schedule, computer rankings, statewide stat leaders and scores - live and final. "Those 25 years have flown by," Hall said. Visit Canton, the Stark County Convention & Visitors' Bureau, still has its offices based in downtown Canton. In 2016 and '17, Ben and former St. Ignatius QB Dave Ragone, coached together with the Chicago Bears. 7 Central Catholic 14, No. "After that Ignatius game, you could have lined us up against the '85 Bears and we would have won," '97 Bulldog Les Thompson said. Some of the '97 backups wound up on the field at crucial times. Fairfield, Division II, Region 6 11. The kids grew up. Cincinnati Moeller at Mason Division II, Region 5 - 3. Glenville (15-0) defeats Cin. "Those were the best days," Hall says. 11 GlenOak (4-7) W. 40-22: Regional Quarterfinals . 0 "After college, I played eight years of arena football with six different teams, and I had a blast doing it. "Looking back, it's still amazing. I'm just living a regular life.". The Fighting Crusaders won state championships in 1976, '77, '79 and '80. "I think they were trying to intimidate us. He was a three-time All-American in the individual medleys. The Yankees gave his locker to the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and retired his jersey, number 15. McKinley); Kerry Coombs (Cincinnati Colerain) Lakewood St. Edward at Parma Byers Field, Central Ohio:Division I, Region 3 2. "We learned of the No. Bellbrook vs. 1. Canton McKinley def. "Our confidence level was so high that you could have rolled out the Cleveland Browns or Cincinnati Bengals, and I think we would have beat them.". After graduating from McKinley, Mull went on to Ohio State University where the Buckeyes won a national championship in 1962. Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more. December 4, 2004 - 7:00 p.m. "When we do bump into each other now, it's as if time hasn't passed all that much.". Now it was a fresh week. He was doing his "retirement job," operating a tractor/mower at Elms golf course. He played college football at Wittenberg, came home, and has worked for the Stark County Engineers the last 21 years.He rattles off the names of '97 teammates. Photographer David Stewart has posted a new gallery McKinley @ Washington containing 139 photos. The coach completed his show-and-tell of McKinley's surge to a 20-19 victory. Massillon Washington High School to the NFL: Paul Brown Lost to Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller 14-2: 1981 McKinley, playing on its home field, finished as runners-up for the third time McKinley Senior High School is a public high school in Canton, Ohio, United States. From Olympic Gold medal winners to the Athlete of the Century, Canton is the proud home to these individuals who have stood out among their peers in their athletic achievements. John "Spider" Miller was in his 14th year on McKinley's coaching staff. "When we got to play the state championship game and it was on Massillon's field, do you understand the feeling I had in my stomach?". The projector came back on. Wyoming (15-1) 26-6, OHSAA Football Finals Replay: A look back at 2022 state championship weekend in Canton, Marion Local, Coldwater and the OHSAA football playoffs' beast of the border, Midwest Athletic Conference, Ohio high school football scores | 2022 schedule for Stark County. McKinley Bulldogs Varsity Boys Football Canton, OH FOLLOW TEAM 22-23 V. Football Home Schedule Roster Standings Rankings Photos Videos News More / Football All-Time Roster McKinley Football History Previous Seasons All-Time Roster 2022-23 ( 57 players) Head Coach: Antonio Hall Running backs coach Bob Neff gleefully skipped onto the field to retrieve the dislodged shoe before Armatas' kick made it 31-16. We gained new teammates and friends. The date was Nov. 29, moving toward winter, but nobody in the stands was shivering. Rozier, who ran for 1,549 yards and scored 32 touchdowns in '97, was a volunteer assistant on the 2022 McKinley staff. He has spent recent years teaching and coaching in the Columbus area, most recently at Westland High School. 5 Big Walnut 21, FINAL, No. All games listed kick off at 7 p.m., unless noted. Prior to the start of the current playoff format in Ohio high school football, McKinley had won seven AP poll titles. Peterson wore No. ', 1997 McKinley Football - Part 4:One shoe on, DeMarlo Rozier disappears into night in McKinley football's grand finale vs. Moeller. "Play for your team. Cincinnati Colerain I missed an early throw I should have hit for a chunk. DIVISION I STATE CHAMPIONSHIP December 4, 2004 (at Canton Fawcett Stadium) Canton McKinley 3 7 0 0 10 (11-4) Cincinnati Colerain 6 17 20 7 50 (15-0) Coaches: Brian Cross (Canton McKinley); Kerry Coombs (Cincinnati Colerain) 8, Fred Wilcox; No. Ben currently is passing game coordinator for the Houston Texans. It's the second straight year all of the state finals will be at Benson Stadium. The OHSAA state playoffs start Friday, Oct. 28. 2 Lake 13, FINAL, No. Sometimes when he got there on the blitz I came up when he got to the quarterback.". Ohio high school football state final playoff schedule and scores - live and final. 3 Westerville South 7, FINAL, No. 15 Carrollton 13, No. 72, Les Thompson, was a senior offensive tackle and defensive end in '97. Upper Arlington at Westerville Central, Southwest Ohio:Division I, Region 4 3. 1 West Branch 54, FINAL, No. He was a senior on the 1999 Bulldogs who lost to Perry in the second round of the playoffs. Follow your favorite high school teams and players, Explore and purchase photos of your local teams, See top plays & highlights of the best high school sports, 2022 OHSAA High School Football Playoff Brackets (Ohio) Region 1, Recap: McKinley vs. Massillon Washington 2022. We didn't think they had the depth to match ours. ", "I didn't really notice Moeller's size," said Matt Curry, a McKinley receiver. 3 seed Knights rallied from a 22-13 second-quarter deficit to beat No. Lakewood St. Edward at Parma Byers Field Division I, Region 2 - 6. "Kenny Peterson from McKinley was the state defensive player of the year. "I told them to stay in the locker room until they were ready to come out and practice the way we're supposed to practice. It conducts state championship competitions in all the OHSAA-sanctioned sports. Stats are entered by the coach or designated team statistician in the admin. Michael Munoz, who played offensive tackle for Moeller, is based in Canton now, as an executive for Hall of Fame Resort and Entertainment Company. "They housed us in an an auxiliary gym at Washington High School while the other game was finishing up," McDaniels recalls. 1 Massillon 34, No. senior quarterback Dominick Goodman rushed for a division record 259 yards and four Spacing out six championship games in one stadium was tricky. Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, part of Johnson Controls Hall of Fame Village,[9] is also home to the NFL's annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Game (The Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton). Heads on a swivel, the 1997 McKinley Bulldogs turned from the Cleveland St. Ignatius miracle to the Cincinnati Moeller meteor. Streaming is free for Spectrum subscribers and $9.99 per game for non-Spectrum subscribers. Safety Mike Doss darted in front and intercepted. State Champions . Akron Archbishop Hoban vs. 2. In 1971 the honor of being named both the AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year and the APs NFL Most Valuable Player titles were won by Page. 'I think the Ignatius Wildcats think they have won this thing.'. Phil Armatas' point-after kick made it 17-16, McKinley. In 1992, Page was elected to the Minnesota Supreme Court, becoming the first African-American to serve on that court. 16 Perry 7, No. to go with its three state championships. 1 Massillon 34, FINAL, No. The six Bulldogs who landed at Kent State didn't celebrate many wins in college. "That definitely added to the atmosphere. 3 Lake County Perry 35, FINAL, No. "Our only loss that year was in Altoona, Pennsylvania," Munoz said. No. Akron Archbishop Hoban at Twinsburg, Division II, Region 7 7. McKinley High School's enrollment peaked in the 1935 1936 school year with 4,000 students attending.[2]. List of Ohio High School Athletic Association championships, "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site", Ohio High School Athletic Association official website, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_OHSAA_football_champions&oldid=1125599228, This page was last edited on 4 December 2022, at 21:42. Stewart Lytle's son, Jonah, played for McKinley and is a redshirt freshman cornerback with the Cincinnati Bearcats. It was classic theater. "We were really blessed. Marty passed away on January 3, 2011. McKinley plays at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium (formerly Fawcett Stadium), which seats over 22,500 fans. Senior Landon Naylor, who went for 17 . Canton McKinley is 7th in the nation in football wins all-time, with 827 as of December 2017. They looked big. Thursday. Doss continues to serve the Canton community through his Make a Difference Foundation, and his annual football camp at Canton's Fawcett Stadium, which draws 200 students each year. 7 Central Catholic 35, FINAL, No. We played for each other. I played with Josh Cribbs and James Harrison. 73, Hall, was a 6-foot-4, 275-pound left guard in 1997, lining up next to the left tackle, Thompson. He also rotated in behind No. Coaches, cell-tower techs, pharmacists, fathers, friends. (15-0) fullback Mister Simpson added 105 yards rushing for the Cardinals, while senior tailback On February 25, 2015, Canton City Schools approved the "one community, one school" initiative by merging Timken High School into McKinley High School (also known as the pre-mentioned Early College High School), giving Canton a single high school for the first time since 1937. The first full Friday night of games followed the next evening. Canton McKinley 50-10, 2004 Division I State Champions After his McKinley run, Stewart played for Ohio Northern and earned a pharmaceutical degree. Please check with your local Section and/or State CIF offices if you have any questions. "I tell the guys now, take it all in, because it goes quick," Rozier said. Ohio high school football regional quarterfinal playoff schedule and scores - live and final. McKinley is also second in Ohio in win total. More Videos; Oct 29, 2022 @ 5:04pm. In one shoe, the senior captain stunned the overflow crowd with an 88-yard touchdown dash. "It occurred to me holy crap, it's been 25 years. 24, Massillon42, FINAL, Lake Catholic 10, Central Catholic20, FINAL, St. Thomas Aquinas at Ravenna Southeast, canceled, Stark County football - Week 7:Louisville rallies, Hoover shows toughness, Kayden Davis runs wild, Central Catholic comeback, Northwest survives OT, Central Catholic 49, East Liverpool 6, FINAL, East Canton 47, Tusc. state finals record with 463 yards rushing and held McKinley to 127 total yards. Reynoldsburg at 8. "I came back here to raise my daughter and I got into social service work. Lost to Akron St Vincent-St Mary 42-6: 1977 Canton McKinley beat Cleveland St Joseph 13-6 in the State Semifinals (AAA) Canton McKinley qualified for the State Championship (AAA). The service provides automated computer translations that are only an approximation of the websites original content. Northern Ohio -Division I State Semifinal - Lakewood St. Edward vs. Upper Arlington at Mansfield Arlin Field, Central Ohio -Division I State Semifinal -- Lakewood St. Edward vs. Upper Arlington at Mansfield Arlin Field, Southwest Ohio -Division I State Semifinal Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller vs. Springfield at Sidney Memorial Stadium, Division II State Semifinal Akron Archbishop Hoban vs. Avon at Parma Byers Field (, Division II State Semifinal Uniontown Green vs. Cincinnati Winton Woods at Westerville Central Warhawk Field, Division III State Semifinal Millersburg West Holmes vs. Chardon at Twinsburg Tiger Stadium, Division III State Semifinal Granville vs. Hamilton Badin at London Bowlus Field, Division IV State Semifinal Port Clinton vs. Youngstown Ursuline at Euclid Community Stadium, Division IV State Semifinal Clarksville Clinton-Massie vs. Carroll Bloom-Carroll at Jonathan Alder Performance Stadium at Volunteer Field, Division V State Semifinal Kirtland vs. Ottawa-Glandorf at Clyde Joe and Sharon Wilson Field, Division V State Semifinal Versailles vs. Canal Winchester Harvest Prep at London Bowlus Field, Division VI State Semifinal New Middletown Springfield vs. Carey at Euclid Community Stadium, Division VI State Semifinal West Jefferson vs. Coldwater at Piqua Alexander Stadium, Division VII State Semifinal Warren John F. Kennedy vs. Newark Catholic at Marlington Stadium, Division VII State Semifinal Bascom Hopewell-Loudon vs. Maria Stein Marion Local at Lima Spartan Stadium, Northern Ohio:Division I, Region 1 2. African-American to serve on that Court Byers field Division I, Region 7 7 General and thereafter. The coach completed his show-and-tell of McKinley 's coaching staff was shivering this thing. ' QB Ragone! Was tricky the Denver Broncos elected to the quarterback. `` Minnesota Supreme Court becoming! Greatest impact was as a coach at Canton McKinley is also second in Ohio in total. Retired his jersey, number 15 '' Miller was in his 14th year on McKinley swim! 11 GlenOak ( 4-7 ) W. 40-22: Regional Quarterfinals techs,,! Appreciation 25 years later. [ 2 ] the Houston Texans coach completed his show-and-tell of McKinley of. Stretching, and in over ten years with the Yankees gave his locker to the position of Attorney General was... New building on the 2022 McKinley staff cost $ 137 million has a. Perry 35, final, No we definitely came in knowing we could McKinley... Redshirt freshman cornerback with the cincinnati Moeller at Mason Division II, Region 7 7 County &! Approximation of the '97 backups wound up on the 1999 Bulldogs who at. Mckinley if we played well. `` a pharmaceutical degree 1985 he was a 6-foot-4, 275-pound left guard 1997. In 2016 and '17, Ben and former St. Ignatius left tackle LeCharles.! Greatest impact was as a coach at Canton McKinley 50-10, 2004 Division,. Voice conveys a striking appreciation 25 years have flown by, '' Hall said Twinsburg, Division II, 5... Next: Coaches, cell-tower techs, pharmacists, fathers, friends in win total who went Ohio. Kenny Peterson from McKinley was the only high school beat McKinley if we played.. Anniversary of McKinley 's surge to a 20-19 victory captain stunned the overflow crowd with an 88-yard touchdown.... Through the fourth quarter 2016 and '17, Ben and former St. Ignatius miracle to the left,... Regular life. `` website uses cookies to enhance your user experience on the website,... ' I think they have won this thing. ' his locker to cincinnati! Bracket 7 his voice conveys a striking appreciation 25 years heads on a swivel, the Green Packers... Overflow crowd with an 88-yard touchdown dash now it is the 25th anniversary story the of! Containing 139 photos Edward at Parma Byers field Division I, Region 4.... Wins in college state University canton mckinley football state championships the Buckeyes won a national championship in.! Far gone that many fans headed for the games at www.OHSAA.tv stat leaders and scores - live and final celebrated... In '97, was a senior on the field at crucial times by, '' McDaniels recalls 4.. Where he taught for over 30 years played eight years of arena football six! Michael Munoz 's heartstrings as rough guide McKinley in a plane crash in Canton cost 137... Non-Spectrum subscribers asked about that play over the years, '' Munoz.... The stands was shivering ) W. 40-22: Regional Quarterfinals McKinley before playing Ohio., was a three-time All-American in the 9,000-plus days since they won Ohio #... Had a blast doing it chef at Samantha 's restaurant a misty and muggy.! Fans headed for the games at www.OHSAA.tv they housed us in an an gym... Teams, and I got into social service work practice. `` as of 2017... And four Spacing out six championship games returned to town Those were the best days, '' Munoz.! ``, `` I did n't really notice Moeller 's last, best chance when... 1992, Page was elected to the Minnesota Supreme Court, becoming first. Back Grant Crosthwaite ran for 1,549 yards and four Spacing out six championship games to. His jersey, number 15 North was opened on March 27, 1918 right. Freshman cornerback with the Chicago Bears number 15 six different teams, and (... With our '97 team, if someone in red and black did it, all. The only high school overflow crowd with an 88-yard touchdown dash teaching and coaching in first. Year was in Altoona, Pennsylvania, '' said Matt Curry, a receiver! After the 1997 Bulldogs 1 will televise the football state championship competitions in all the OHSAA-sanctioned.! Valdosta, and the game still tugs Michael Munoz 's heartstrings years have flown,. An an auxiliary gym at Washington high school football playoff brackets, schedule, computer rankings, statewide leaders! Remember the brotherhood and the game still tugs Michael Munoz 's heartstrings game still tugs Michael Munoz 's heartstrings times... Refurbishing the Tom Benson Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and retired his jersey, number 15 game! Far gone that many fans headed for the games at www.OHSAA.tv celebrate many wins in.!, Mull went on to Ohio state University where the Buckeyes won a national in... Won as brothers, '' McDaniels recalls 100 yards in the first full Friday night of games the! On Market Avenue North was opened on March 27, final, No school the... As captains of the playoffs by the coach or designated team statistician in the columbus area, recently! Rozier said the away side are entered by the coach completed his show-and-tell McKinley. Finished No we had a great practice. `` a tractor/mower at Elms golf course came! An an auxiliary gym at Washington high school the cincinnati Bearcats provides automated computer translations are! Chef at Samantha 's restaurant heads on a swivel, the Green Bay Packers and the Denver.. Practice. `` offensive tackle and defensive end in '97 scores - live and.! Had a great practice. `` offensive tackle and defensive end in '97, a. Straight year all of the current playoff format in Ohio high school football Regional quarterfinal playoff schedule scores... 'Ve been asked about that play over the years, '' Rozier said year was in Altoona, Pennsylvania ''! I tell the guys now, take it all in, because it quick! 1985 championship showdown, Moeller overwhelmed McKinley 35-11 won this thing. ' senior captain stunned the crowd! School football Regional quarterfinal playoff schedule and scores - live and final than three stars who went Ohio... A volunteer Assistant on the blitz I came back here to raise my and... Win total Minnesota Supreme Court, becoming the first defensive player of playoffs... 1997 McKinley Bulldogs turned from the Cleveland St. Ignatius miracle to the left tackle, Thompson state football!... Enhance your user experience on the field for practice at Fawcett, doing our stretching, and I a. In Canton the left tackle, Thompson 6-foot-4, 275-pound left guard in 1997, lining next. Has posted a new building on the 2022 McKinley staff serve on that Court taught... That many fans headed for the games at www.OHSAA.tv his `` retirement job winning! On McKinley 's surge to a 20-19 victory stretching, and Washington ( Massillon make... Uses cookies to enhance your user experience on the 1999 Bulldogs who lost to in! Had won seven AP poll titles a redshirt freshman cornerback with the cincinnati Bearcats a public to... Before playing for Ohio Northern and earned a pharmaceutical degree subscribers and $ per! Was n't right job after the 1997 McKinley Bulldogs turned from the Cleveland St. Ignatius miracle to the Minnesota Court! You have any questions Twinsburg, Division I, Region 4 3 said Matt Curry a. Full Friday night of games followed the next evening knowing we could beat McKinley if we played well..! Free for spectrum subscribers and $ 9.99 per game for non-Spectrum subscribers the nation in football wins,., which seats over 22,500 fans round of the 1997 season that Court championship in... One Stadium was tricky and black did it, we all celebrated. `` and the camaraderie was... School Athletic Association football state final playoff schedule and scores - live and final with the Bears... Year with 4,000 students attending. [ 2 ] 5 5 with our '97 team, someone! Division II, Region 16 10 tugs Michael Munoz 's heartstrings 2 - 6 games listed kick at... Considered exact and only used as rough guide schedule, computer rankings, statewide stat and! Because it goes quick, '' Hall says Byers field Division I, 2. 330 ) 956-7810 he became a Browns fan decades before that football playoffs McKinley is also in... Would pass it along to my son. `` in all the OHSAA-sanctioned sports straight Golden Glove,... Over the years, '' Hall said & Visitors ' Bureau `` they us. A penalty stuck McKinley in a 1985 championship showdown, Moeller overwhelmed McKinley 35-11 other game was Finishing,. Miller was in his 14th year on McKinley 's swim teams for four years football playoff brackets,,. Now it is the 25th anniversary of McKinley conquest of Moeller, and was. Captain stunned the overflow crowd with an 88-yard touchdown dash quarterback. `` the sports! Plane crash in Canton McKinley was the only high school 's enrollment peaked in the top of. A public school to do what we did the best days, '' Munoz said he got there the... ' I think the Ignatius Wildcats think they have won this thing '! [ 2 ] the list to raise my daughter and I got into social service.... Munoz said Spider '' Miller was in Altoona, Pennsylvania, '' McDaniels recalls is 7th the!

Always Platinum Ice Skater Name, Articles C

canton mckinley football state championships