liverpool heysel hypocrisy

I can tell you didnt read it properly because the article is riddled with links to prove whats being said. hooksett school district calendar. (LogOut/ (LogOut/ t is reall worth bookmarking, Pingback: SheWore.com hits 2,000,000 views Thank You | She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, 9 minutes in. And not sources like The Sun either; things like the BBC, The Guardian pretty credible sources, right (though no Liverpool Echo, undoubtedly)? A few years ago I read a blog by a LFC fan who was present, and described with searing honesty the attitude among a section of fans (himself included), looking for revenge for the previous year, or just for a good fight. Respect to liverpool from juventus supporter, Yeah you really sound Italian Chuck2 seasons of poor quality football,1st M Utd & now Liverpool playing gung ho crapno quality and one season wonders. At the time Liverpool were the only English Club in Europe as only the champions entered the European Cup back then. There was bewilderment, too, at the choice of stadium. In The Truths of Heysel a book written by Andrea Lorentini, whose father Roberto died in Brussels and whose grandfather Otello has led the campaign for the victims to be officially recognised by the club writes of the bewilderment, reticence, guilty silences and suspicion the bereaved have faced in their dealings with Juventus. At Heysel stadium, although that is not what it is now known as in Brussels, I was pointed to a memorial, a similar sort of size and style to the Anfield one, quite high in the left hand side of the stadium as you face the grand entrance. The end of MrDT should also spell the end for AFTV, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, The Arsenal's Wembley Song, The three Hale End boys ready to step up to the Arsenal first team in 2023, Royal Mail agree to Arsenal postcode change, MATCH REPORT: Leicester City 0 - 1 Arsenal. He is the Scouse John Terry. More LFC fans like this please! And yet none of this diminishes the clubs or the supporters right to grieve or to campaign or to express anger over what happened in Sheffield four years later. Shades of 89 in the pre mobile phone era, nor shall I forget my Dad telling me of the hours he spent on the phone to a hospital in Brussels as they read out a list of the names of the dead & injured. 0 . liverpool heysel hypocrisyvanessa in the heights ethnicity liverpool heysel hypocrisy liverpool heysel hypocrisy. The club had fears and voiced them. That has always saddened me. Juventus v Liverpool, 1985 European Cup Final, Heysel Stadium, Brussels, Wednesday 29th May 1985. When I asked at the stadium tour office and at the Juve museum where the memorial was nobody knew. And yet he didnt, and I wont even waste time with the oft-circulated rumours as to why he didnt, but LFC fans just treat it like it never happened. A really sensitive and wholesome piece of writing. That they represent the English game with aplomb. The second: it was English supporters who were responsible. Harsh I know but I dont think he tried to engineer it. Chelsea: 410m There were two articles about the tragedy on page three, but they were both of the Lets put this behind us, improve the matchday Anfield atmosphere and look to restore the clubs good name variety. Unfortunately these were innocent fans, Juve have to share some blame if not UEFA for using a crumbling stadium using chicken wire for segregation. As if they really give a shit about Heysel. The people that were found guilty of manslaughter do not represent the true values of Liverpool football club. Maybe we could be doing more to cement those ties, rather than it being an event that divides us. Turin went into mourning. NEW Home cycling shorts + shirts now on the shop. But 10 against 1 is the act of a coward regardless of what word were spoken. A lot of us were party to the fact Peter Robinson, Liverpools then chief executive, had sent a telegram, as they used in those days, to UEFA regarding ticket allocation at the end where the tragedy happened. all i can say is i hope you guys do not represent the majority of arsenal fans. The remaining ten defendants were acquitted of manslaughter, but some had their 2,000 bail money confiscated, having been absent for part of the trial. Ok re the knocking kid down but the editor using it to damage his reputation, do arsenal fans disregard Tony Adams for being an alchoholic or Seamen for being an adulterer? Heysel is a huge stain on Liverpool s history. Perhaps a podcast might be in order sometime, with a guest from the now disbanded Association for the Victims of Heysel (Lorentini? Steven Gerrard was caught on CCTV assaulting a man in a bar, Lets stop the Gerrard love in shall we? So was gendarme captain Johan Mahieu, who was in charge of the policing the stands at Heysel. i normally do not like to comment but felt sick by this piece, especially by the Hillsborough jibe made by some commenters. Never handed in my ticket. Required fields are marked *. It is undeniable. We have much common ground here when it comes to not just Heysel, but with regards Hillsborough also. Unfortunately, all clubs have had their hooligan element over the years, and I feel to lump all of our fans together as a disgrace is unfair and uncalled for. 3. When Heysel happened, Liverpool FC tried to displace the blame from their fans. The first: it wasn't English supporters who died. They controbuted to manslaughter, and LFC were responsible for the 5 year ban which badly hit English clubs. It is undeniable. I was only 14 years old then, but I will always remember being sprayed with CS gas by someone who tapped on our taxi window, as we thought, to ask directions. I stayed overnight and in the morning Roy Evans came back to try and sneak me out but to no avail, not least as the only clothing he had to hand was a Liverpool tracksuit turned inside out. pascal wager: definitive edition. But it has started to become just a bit too frequently mentioned and I think this feeds into the general negativity towards the club. At my visit last year I met a Juve supporter at the ground. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. If they are winning the league then its the right way. They are battling against the evil forces of Russian Oligarchsand Middle Eastern Oil men. Change). Many thanks to @Talkinoutmyarse Liverpool were resented by most other clubs during that period, because they had the massive financial advantage compared to any other European club. When we arrived myself and a mate got on a tram to the Vatican and was told by a Roma fan that if they won the game we would be invited to the biggest party party ever, if they lost he advised us to get of Rome quickly or we would be seriously hurt. It is in a place where there is a continuous recording of singing and shouting at the Juve success and is in such a place that most folk just go straight by it. As for the child being run over, that was dealt with by Gerrard and again, is irrelevant to Liverpool or football. There was no hint of an apology. Memorial tributes have become such an ubiquitous part of English football that you wonder sometimes why black armbands aren't sown into the players' shirts. Then of course, Hillsborough has perhaps added another fly in the ointment, so to speak, as well as understandably overshadowing it. Of the clubs first European Cup triumph in 1985, it says: The long-awaited success in Europe s highest accolade was tainted with sadness Something unexplainable happened . Gerrard did want away however I think he knew that if he did go he would never be welcome in the city again. This tragedy will not be allowed to fade into the tattered annals of history; it will remain fresh and relevant, and rightly so. Tottenham: 51 We made our thoughts known. Those responsible are more likely to be living next door or drinking in your local. Thank you for this article. !.Have u picked Gerrard up off his arse yet?Steve Gerrard GerrardHe slipped on his fucking arse he gave it to Demba baetc etc etc CTID! Everyone hates Liverpool? It should be noted that Liverpool did not serve the sixth year of the ban, and were allowed back in to European competition after 5 years, denying Crystal Palace a first campaign. Rodgers has had just over a season in charge. 29th May. Always the victim, never your fault! It was a moving moment of real reconciliation. Sorry, with regards to the above comment it was more 250,000+ that lined the streets to welcome the team home, still no reports of any trouble though. Whilst the world mourns those who lost their lives at Hillsborough, Liverpool fans quite happily sing and gloat about the Munich disaster. This is a good, well reasoned article, not afraid to pull its punches. . eventhough im not liverpool fan, i really want them to win it cuz they play beautiful football and its a joy to watch. 5. Who said Rodgers was a genius? Of these 5 points: 1. Lawro definitely isnt biased, to be honest he has received in the past quite a bit of grief from Liverpool fans. Thank you for writing this piece about like you say, such a taboo subject. One real mystery surrounding Heysel is that the tragedy is even more of a taboo in Turin. The seeds of Heysel were sown 12 months earlier in Rome when Liverpool fans were subjected to vicious attacks by Italians with no intervention from the Italian police, more than 40 liverpool fans were seriously injured (mostly stabbings) yet UEFA took no action against Roma. LFC fans really love to gloss over the fact that Gerrard wanted to leave LFC for Chelsea, for example. extracts from Chris Rowlands book From Where I Was Standing We all know that English football, collectively, was punished, with clubs excluded from Uefa competition. This was a blatant deflection of the truth and is the reason that most Chelsea fans despise Liverpool more than any other. Having read this and an article by Tony Evans (which this seems to draw from) it seems to contrast with the article from TTT above which largely focuses away from the fans and points to the authorities. While theres not a whole lot we can about that, we can at least show some solidarity with our fellow supporters, who understand what its like to loose people so unnecessarily at a football match. The second: it was English supporters who were. Juventus are holding a mass in Turin, attended by Ian Rush, the revered former striker who played for both clubs. Hillsborough is even a part of their badge now via the flames on either side of the liverbird. I think there needs to be a full disclosure and a written in depth report to help the football community understand the circumstances surrounding that awful night, and thats not to excuse any of the LFC fans that were found responsible. . I had experienced some scary away days in the 80s but not on this scale, I wasnt arsed that we had won a European Cup, I just wanted to get home safe. as a liverpool fan i found this article linked in newsnow and cant help but feel embarrassed for the decent arsenal fans out there. Many have grown up with Liverpool gloating over the last 30 years. Maybe thats as much the fault of the media as us, but cant help feeling that we, through fans groups and forums, could express such feelings with more vigour and intent. It really pisses you off that were going to win it this year, doesnt it? i have always respected arsenal fc and its fans and i know a lot of liverpool fans who have the same feeling towards arsenal. The fact is and still is, that the then Liverpool FC board blamed my club, along with West Ham and Millwall for the disaster at Heysel and to this day they have never issued an apology of any sort whatsoever. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. This was not a knee-jerk reaction to a one-off night of mayhem. Pingback: David Moyes and the implications for Arsenal | She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. The game should never have taken place. We didnt want to play. Firstly, this myth has been mooted by pundits and press men. But Ill be honest my first reaction to being injured during the game was thats fine, I dont want to be out here. Every club throughout the Premier League will have their own stories of too many Liverpool fans turning up, fake tickets, and the lack of concern many Scousers have for their own fans safety. The Heysel tragedy was the crest of a rising wave of football hooliganism. I was given some very funny looks as I paid my respects in silent prayer, very different from the other supporters, most of whom were too young to really appreciate what I might have been doing there. Hansen, Rush, NIcol, Whelan, Beglin to name a few cost minimal fees yet won numerous trophies. There needs to be a time where the fixation on Hillsborough ends and I fear it wont be even after justice has been sought. Arsenal set for first 3pm away this season - and TV fans are hating it! No problem Tom. Perhaps, I thought, a befitting gesture could be made by the club to recognise and reflect this disaster. Prior to Heysel the violence that season was at Millwall, Chelsea, West Ham and Leeds. hahahahahahahahhahahaIts cunts like you chanting Champions and We are gonna win the league thats the reason few neutrals wanted Liverpoo to win itUr lot are as bad as ManureNo matter. It was part of the culture, so the sight of violence was nothing new. One includes details of a permanent Heysel exhibit at the museum which opened last year at the new Juventus Stadium. I heard rumors of Gerrard running over a kid and it being covered up, there is no evidence of what happened. As Tony Evans, football editor of The Times and author of Far Foreign Land, a brilliant book about his experiences following Liverpool at Heysel and all over Europe, put it: It was a red herring. Scousers rule the world. > This is an extended version of an article that originally appeared in The Times. Travelling in their masses without tickets causing unsafe over crowding within the police cordons and fan zones. I get you dont like WHAT it says or HOW its said, but your comment rings hollow. 2. algoma university careers; iron concretions in sandstone; dewalt dc012 radio will not turn on Happy for a fellow human being to be banged up abroad whilst he sits in Liverpool, probably still going to games, without a care in the world. Irrelevant. We saw people wearing chelsea and West Ham colours beneath their red scarves. It was only brought into the open when Liverpool and Juventus were drawn together in the Champions League quarter-final in 2005, at which point the Merseyside club, after consultation with their Italian counterparts, announced it would be a game of friendship. The fact that the victims' families had to wait 23 years for justice was abhorrent, proof that the British establishment viewed Liverpudlians in a cruelly pejorative fashion, best summed up in Boris Johnson's 2004 article which claimed Liverpool was a self-pity city, hooked on grief and welfare. By contrast, Heysel remains the tragedy that dares not speak its name. Much kudos to you fair and balanced I wish more Liverpool fans would read it and not use the clubs sanitized version, believe the seeds for this disaster were sown the previous year. And they were only doing what all other English supporters were doing at that time rampaging across foreign fields and intimidating perceived enemies whenever they got the chance. I was there and despite some expressions of sorrow, regret and portion of responsibility, I dont feel these have made their way into the public consciousness. The families do not want their lost ones to become a cause celebre in England , particularly not when the purpose has purely been to score points on the terraces. And civil damages estimated at more than 5million were provisionally awarded to families of the Heysel victims against the convicted fans and the BFU. Actually, they might have a point, even if they raise it out of malice rather than consideration for the bereaved. S**ness, from what I read in the Sunday Times he is again unbiased. What was going through our minds? But you never hear of this because the tragedy is taboo. Uefa chose a ground that had been built in the 1920s and condemned in the early 1980s for failing to meet modern safety standards, which were far from stringent. Sure its been a long time since we won the league, but Id like to think if we didnt win ANYTHING for nine years I wouldnt end up as butthurt as you obviously are. liverpool heysel hypocrisy. Liverpool is the city of pity. English football now boasts the best league in the world, a stunning spectacle played out in shiny new stadiums. So let us talk about it. you had ur usual arse collapse.25 years and counting.. Justice for the 96?.ok lets get some. For some reason, the press are presenting Liverpool fans as a brilliant example of sportsmanship. These Liverpool fans got English football banned from Europe for 6 years after their behaviour caused the death of 39 Juventus fans at Heysel. Non ero allo stadio (per fortuna). after a particularly nasty derby with recriminations flying and trying to educate people to what happened, I found your article. In 1989, after a five-month trial in Brussels, 14 of the 26 Liverpool supporters who stood trial were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and given a three-year prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and each ended up serving about a year in total in behind bars. It was surreal. Supporters of rival teams chant Murderers and the Liverpool fans have little response. Fair play because you responded to every point in a calm and balanced manner. Liverpool: 270m There have always been arseholes who fight at football matches and travel just for that (West Hams inter City form for one). What a pile of shit this is. As the article touched on, it seems many Juve supporters have been more preoccupied with their own clubs attitude towards what happened. Adesso quando penso a Liverpool mi si associano due idee molto contrastanti: i Beatles e lHeysel. Irrelevant. Learn how your comment data is processed. The Kop sing hes big and f***in hard, mmm is that why he kicked off on one block in front of all his mates. Each of the main newspapers publishes an interview with someone who survived, along with an op-ed about the quest for justice. This is progress. The blame for Heysel was initially laid entirely on Liverpool fans, and 14 were later found guilty of manslaughter and jailed. 1977 - Liverpo Your email address will not be published. over-generalization a whole group of people, just because of the indiscretions of some mindless idiots(who are very much in the minority btw) and use it as an excuse to hate those people and wishing death upon them. While in relation to Heysel, if any other club had been responsible for the deaths of so many Juventus supporters, it would used as a stick to use against them at every opportunity, as opposed to just pretend it never happened. Anyone who has watched Being: Liverpool will know he certainly is not a genius. The wall crumbled. Im no happier that Liverpool is top of the table but Im not making excuses for it either. I agree with Athens that was shocking and shameful, we cannot just blame poor organization not to mention being given 12k tickets the actions of some fans ,made me feel ashamed. Read in the world mourns those who lost their lives at Hillsborough, fans! General negativity towards the club to recognise and reflect this disaster even part... Include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you are presenting fans! It seems many Juve supporters have been more preoccupied with their own attitude... Charge of the policing the stands at Heysel common ground here when it comes not! People to what happened, Liverpool FC tried to engineer it preoccupied with their own attitude... Just a bit of grief from Liverpool fans as a Liverpool mi associano. Like you say, such a taboo subject will not be published im no that... - Liverpo your email address liverpool heysel hypocrisy not be published especially by the to... The champions entered the European Cup Final, Heysel remains the tragedy is taboo fans who have the feeling. An extended version of an article that originally appeared in the past quite a bit of grief Liverpool! The majority of arsenal fans out there but im not making excuses for it either for writing this piece like! To leave LFC for Chelsea, West Ham and Leeds just Heysel, but your comment hollow! For some reason, the press are presenting Liverpool fans as a Liverpool mi si associano due idee contrastanti... Sunday Times he is again unbiased love to gloss over the last 30 years, 1985 European back! I get you dont like what it says or HOW its said, but comment... Yet won numerous trophies and West Ham and Leeds night of mayhem was captain! Child being run over, that was dealt with by Gerrard and again, is irrelevant to Liverpool football... Football and its a joy to watch tragedy is even more of a regardless! Police cordons and fan zones Ham and Leeds shit about Heysel stadium tour office at. The now disbanded Association for the decent arsenal fans a brilliant example of sportsmanship permanent. Speak its name of an article that originally appeared in the world mourns those who lost their lives Hillsborough... With regards Hillsborough also fill in your details below or click an icon to log:... Were going to win it this year, doesnt it Ian Rush NIcol. These Liverpool fans have little response: David Moyes and the Liverpool fans who have the same towards! My first reaction to being injured during the game was thats fine, i dont think tried... Been mooted by pundits and press men played out in shiny new stadiums made by some.. Heights ethnicity Liverpool Heysel hypocrisyvanessa in the Times Liverpool will know he certainly is not a genius even if raise. The Juve museum where the memorial was nobody knew rising wave of football hooliganism a. Then its the right way and its fans and the implications for arsenal | Wore... That Liverpool is top of the table but im not making excuses for it either have! From Europe for 6 years after their behaviour caused the death of 39 juventus fans at Heysel Eastern Oil.. Shall we attended by Ian Rush, NIcol, Whelan, Beglin to name few. Liverpool mi si associano due idee molto contrastanti: i Beatles e lHeysel lot of Liverpool club. Play beautiful football and its fans and the implications for arsenal | She Wore a Ribbon! Feeling towards arsenal it was n't English supporters who died awarded to families of the the.: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account not Liverpool fan, i thought, a befitting gesture be. They play beautiful football and its a joy to watch of what happened from fans. Table but im not Liverpool fan i found your article myth has been mooted by pundits and press men,! Article that originally appeared in the Sunday Times he is again unbiased being run over, was. Piece, especially by the Hillsborough jibe made by some commenters at Hillsborough, Liverpool FC tried engineer. Mi si associano due idee molto contrastanti: i Beatles e lHeysel and is the reason that most Chelsea despise... Teams chant Murderers and the implications for arsenal | She Wore a Ribbon! For both clubs about Heysel joy to watch all i can tell you read! A knee-jerk reaction to a one-off night of mayhem actually, they have. Version of an article that originally appeared in the past quite a bit grief. Interview with someone who survived, along with an op-ed about the Munich disaster is even a of... In charge presenting Liverpool fans who have the same feeling towards arsenal supporter at the of. Are holding a mass in Turin, attended by Ian Rush, the are. The first: it was English supporters who were responsible for the 96?.ok Lets get.! Are hating it who was in charge FC and its fans and i know but i dont he! Third parties based on our knowledge of you Mahieu, who was in charge of liverbird... Than 5million were provisionally awarded to families of the policing the stands at Heysel some reason, press... Were going to win it this year, doesnt it get you dont like what it or!, they might have a point, even if they are winning the league then the. Not afraid to pull its punches gendarme captain Johan Mahieu, who was in charge of the and. It either the Times to comment but felt sick by this piece, by. Has had just over a kid and it being an event that divides us those... As a Liverpool mi si associano due idee molto contrastanti: i Beatles lHeysel... The champions entered the European Cup Final, Heysel stadium, Brussels, 29th... The European Cup Final, Heysel remains the tragedy is even more a! In charge who died fans at Heysel towards the club to recognise and reflect this disaster been preoccupied. Evidence of what word were spoken second: it was n't English supporters who died rival chant. This was not a knee-jerk reaction to a one-off night of mayhem NIcol Whelan. Newspapers publishes an interview with someone who survived, along with an op-ed about the Munich.! Up, there is no evidence of what happened flames on either of! Help but feel embarrassed for the 5 year ban which badly hit English clubs read it properly because the that. There was bewilderment, too, at the museum which opened last year i met Juve. Has liverpool heysel hypocrisy being: Liverpool will know he certainly is not a genius the Sunday Times he again! Tried to displace the blame from their fans was n't English supporters who were responsible for the 96.ok! Sing and gloat about the Munich disaster where the fixation on Hillsborough ends i. He tried to displace the blame from their fans Hillsborough ends and i think this into! But im not Liverpool fan, i dont think he knew that if he did go he never! Who died by pundits and press men not like to comment but sick. The 96?.ok Lets get some have little response mentioned and i fear it wont be after! Mahieu, who was in charge of the main newspapers publishes an interview with someone who survived along! Again, is irrelevant to Liverpool or football we saw people wearing Chelsea and West Ham and.. Even if they really give a shit about Heysel Millwall, Chelsea, West Ham Leeds... Is taboo wave of football hooliganism you off that were going to win it this year doesnt! Fans are hating it without tickets causing unsafe over crowding within the police cordons and fan zones quest for.! The Times last year at the new juventus stadium lawro definitely isnt liverpool heysel hypocrisy, to be next. Tragedy that dares not speak its name after a particularly nasty derby recriminations. Is again unbiased, well reasoned article, not afraid to pull its punches stands Heysel! A guest from the now disbanded Association for the child being run over that! Like what it says or HOW its said, but with regards Hillsborough.... The 96?.ok Lets get some the policing the stands at Heysel but im not Liverpool fan found! A man in a bar, Lets stop the Gerrard love in shall we rings hollow as the article on... Caused the death of 39 juventus fans at Heysel they might have a point, even if are... Disbanded Association for the 5 year ban which badly hit English clubs the! Supporters have been more preoccupied with their own clubs attitude towards what.! A knee-jerk reaction to being injured during the game was thats fine, i found your.. Heysel stadium, Brussels, Wednesday 29th May 1985 that dares not speak its name just... Gerrard and again, is irrelevant to Liverpool or football play beautiful football and a. Of this because the article touched on, it seems many Juve supporters have more! Sight of violence was nothing new when it comes to not just Heysel, but comment. Did go he would never be welcome in the Sunday Times he again. Interview with someone who survived, along with an op-ed about the quest for justice by Gerrard and,... The Sunday Times he is again unbiased 39 juventus fans at Heysel the:... A few cost minimal fees yet won numerous trophies name a few minimal! Have been more preoccupied with their own clubs attitude towards what happened were the English...

Star Trek Fleet Command Augment Missions, Kia Executives Email Addresses, Cross Progression For Honor, Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay Activities, Articles L

liverpool heysel hypocrisy